BAS and UK Arachnology - In the Media
2012 was a busy year for UK arachnology and conservation. The captive breeding and release of the Fen Raft Spider continues and has proved succesful, with breeding confimed in released populations from last year. The BAS has contributed to several programmes and articles, some of which are shown here, including BBC's Autumn Watch.
Media enquiries please contact ....
- New spider for Britain found in Glasgow -Scottish Invertebrate News
- New spider for Britain found in Glasgow - Buglife
- House Spider video - watch online - (in last 10 minutes of the programme) - BBC AutumnWatch 1st Nov'12
- Expert in house spider warning in the Lothians and south of Scotland - BBC 16th Oct'12
- House Spiders in September - Guardian Sep'12
- New Harvestman find, Paul Richards - listen online - (5 minute slot, 14 minutes into the programme) - BBC Radio 4 Saving Species 30th Oct'12
- Appreciation of spiders, Lawrence Bee, British Arachnological Society - listen online or podcast - (5 minute slot, 26 minutes into the programme) - BBC Radio 4 Saturday Live 29th Sep'12
- Captive breeding and re-introduction of Fen Raft Spider, Helen Smith - listen online - (6 minute slot, 22 minutes into the programme) - BBC Radio 4 Material World 4th Oct'12
- Return of the UK's biggest spider - BBC 4th Oct'12
- The UK's largest spider returns to Norfolk - Countryfile 4th Oct'12
- 8cm spiders released into the British countryside by ecologists - The Telegraph 4th Oct'12
- UK's rarest spiders fostered by zoos in bid to save them - BBC radio interview Sep'12
- Re-introduction of the Fen Raft Spider in Suffolk - listen online - BBC Radio 4 Saving Species Oct'11
- Ladybird Spider introduced to Arne reserve.
- Britainâ€™s rarest spider moves house in a plastic bottle
- SRS page for the Ladybird spider.
In February 2010, John Partridge, the BAS's then Secretary, guested on the Radio 4 programme "The Living World" in search of the uncommon cave spider, Meta bourneti. To listen to the programme, follow this link.